Top 10 Ways to Add Fruits and Veggies to Party Foods
Incorporate these 10 ways to add fruits and veggies to party foods this season with these nutrition tips.
A Healthy Dessert
Top mixed fruit with a dollop of sorbet or sherbet for dessert.
Make vegetable lasagna for non‑meat eating guests. Instead of the meat layer, try spinach, eggplant, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms, or your favorite combination.
Serve fruit chutneys and relishes as condiments.
- Serve appetizers that use vegetables and fruits.
- De‑seed a cucumber and fill with tabouli, hummus, or tomato bruschetta. Slice into ½ inch pieces.
- Top party rye with a thin layer of low‑fat mayonnaise, a cucumber slice and a dash of lemon pepper, or spread with Tuna Vegetable Dip.
- Marinate mushrooms in your favorite low‑fat vinaigrette.
- Top a thin slice of French bread or a melba toast round with a thin slice of part‑skim mozzarella and sun‑dried tomato.
Be Prepared for Guests
Keep frozen and canned veggies on hand in case of an unexpected guest or last- minute invitation. Check out the article “Top 10 Ways to Cook Anything” for some quick and tasty preparation ideas.
Create a New Tradition
Make a new veggie recipe… a new holiday tradition. Start with our healthy, homemade soup Infographic for ideas!
Add Some Sparkle
Offer 100% fruit or vegetable juice as a beverage. For a healthy and fun party drink, use seltzer instead of water to make juice from 100% fruit juice concentrate.
Healthy Snacks and Gifts
Don’t forget dried fruits! Add to a cheese platter or mix with nuts for snacking. A dried fruit and nut combination makes a great gift too! Also try assorted dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins, apricots, cherries, blueberries and apples with mixed nuts.
Trays of Crudités
What’s a party without crudités? Include some different veggies on your vegetable tray such as jicama, turnips, zucchini or steamed green beans. If you’re pressed for time, pick up fruit and vegetable trays already assembled from the supermarket.
Decorate and Enjoy
A basket or bowl of fruits and veggies is a festive decoration or gift for the host of the party.
This article originally appeared on FruitsandVeggiesMoreMatters.org and is reposted here with permission.