Who doesn’t love bananas? We think we know everything about the foods we eat, but little do we know there are so many interesting facts that go unnoticed! Continue reading to learn some of our favorite banana fun facts.
Did you know…
– There are two fruits that can’t be milked OR juiced, one being bananas! Definitely makes sense, I don’t think I’ve ever had a banana juice. Hmm..
– Bananas are one of the most widely consumed fruits in the world.
– Bananas traveled to a total of 5 different continents before making it to North America.
– Bananas contain no fat, sodium or cholesterol and are a great source of fiber. Even freeze-dried, bananas are a healthy fruit.
– Bananas can be other colors, including red.
– Bananas have been around for thousands of years.
– They contain about 75% water.
– India is the leading producer of bananas!
– Fresh bananas are a great source of potassium, which helps your body to build protein, break down carbohydrates, and are one of the best fruits for your face.
– Most species of the banana plant originated in Southeast Asia.
– They weigh an average of 125 grams. For a convenient lunch bag and travel food, Crispy Green makes Crispy Bananas, all natural, light, freeze-dried banana slices.
– Americans eat more bananas than any other fruit, with an average consumption of 26.2 pounds a year. Americans eat more bananas than oranges and apples combined.
– Bananas can cheer up your mood! They are the only fruit that contain amino acid, tryptophan plus Vitamin B6, which together help the body produce serotonin. So, if you are ever feeling down, make sure to eat a banana. It’s a win-win.
– Uganda has the highest consumption of bananas in the world. An average person eats around 500 pounds of bananas per year! That’s 19 times more than Americans.
– Just like apples, bananas float in water.
– The scientific name for banana is musa sapientum, which translates to “fruit of the wise men”.
– 51% of bananas are eaten for breakfast at home.
– More songs have been written about bananas than about any other fruit.
There ya have it, 18 fun facts about bananas that you didn’t know before!